The Jessner Peel is designed to improve the overall appearance and health of the skin and can help with a plethora of concerns, including sun-damage, pigmentation, acne, dehydration and signs of aging.
About This Treatment
The Jessner peel is done by brushing an acidic liquid onto the skin to remove the top layers and encourage new, younger-looking skin to grow. The treatment was first formulated over a hundred years ago, and it’s still in use today thanks to its ability to:
- reduce dark patches and age spots
- even out skin tone
- reduce the appearance of scars
- smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- treat melasma (skin discoloration), hyperpigmentation, and acne scars
Used by dermatologists for decades, this popular mid-depth chemical peel is stronger than most superficial peels, is left on the skin for optimal absorption, and encourages visible peeling of damaged skin layers. Once applied, dried, and exfoliated over a 7 to 10 day period, the skin looks vibrant, supple, and has a youthful glow.
What To Expect
Here is a quick guide for what to expect before, during, and after your treatment. Please keep in mind that results may vary.
- Minimize sun exposure.
- An antiviral medication may be prescribed.
- We may recommend a preparatory skin care plan for 2-4 weeks to reduce side effects and make the peel more effective.
- Do not exfoliate or use aggressive products for 1 week prior to treatment.
- The skin will be cleansed to remove any dirt or oils.
- Next, the Jessner solution will be brushed onto the skin.
- Typically, 2 coats will be applied for a superficial peel however, additional layers may be applied for a deeper peel.
- After the peel, the skin may continue to burn or sting for 20 minutes or more.
- Your skin will be red, swollen, and tight for the first 24 hours or so. After that, the swelling will go down and your skin will begin peeling.
- Keep your skin protected from sun exposure as this peel increases sun sensitivity.
- No exercise and strenuous activities. No hot tub, jacuzzi, or sauna.
- Do not use exfoliating or lightening skincare products, scrubs, or retinols.
- Do not use hair removal cream or bleaching cream on the face.
- No facial waxing.
- No hair color, highlights, or perm services.
- Do not pick, peel, scrape or scratch your skin.
- Be sure to follow all aftercare instructions your doctor gives you for optimal results.
Result & Recovery Notes
- It can take 5-7 days after a medium peel to develop new skin.
- Generally, it will take 7–14 days to heal completely and see the full results of the peel.
- Two or more peels may be needed for desired results.
Multiple treatments spaced weeks or months apart, allowing for full and proper skin healing between treatments, will offer more optimal results. We will provide post-treatment guidance and advise on a suitable skincare regime to help your skin heal fully and well after each treatment. Post-treatment care will play the biggest part in keeping your skin looking bright, fresh, younger, healthier and more radiant for a long, long time.
The ideal candidate for a Jessner’s peel has acne, melasma, or various pigmentation concerns such as hyperpigmentation, freckles, and photodamage. Patients desire a minimally invasive treatment and are okay with multiple treatments to achieve results.
Not Recommended For
Individuals with active/inflammatory acne, rosacea, capillary damage, and/or untreated melasma (hormonal hyperpigmentation) should opt for alternative treatments. Chat to us about your options.
While everyone will experience some side effects from the peel, complications are more common among people with darker skin tones. These include: redness and swelling, peeling, and stinging or burning.